Slip & Fall Prevention
This time of year it is very important to be aware of your surroundings. Slips and falls represent more than 33% of total MTRMA losses, and MTRMA has paid over $47,000,000 in claim dollars due to slips and falls. It is the safe and smart business decision to make sure all of your employees are properly trained on how to avoid these types of injuries.
USE THESE TOOLS TO STAY SAFE:
- ALWAYS USE 3 POINTS OF CONTACT WHEN ENTERING AND EXITING A VEHICLE!
- Wear appropriate footwear for outdoors
- Clean footwear of mud, snow, etc
- Always use cleared pathways – don’t take shortcuts!
- Make cloths, wipes, brooms, and other materials easily accessible
- Keep areas well-lit, both inside and outside
- Keep salt, cat litter or such easily available
- Follow all “wet” floor signs
- Be aware of changes in elevation and walking surfaces
- Make sure stairs and handrails are in good repair
IF YOU HAVE TO WALK ON ICY OR SLIPPERY CONDITIONS:
- Wear gloves so you can keep you hands/arms out for balance
- Don’t lean forward – can cause you to be off balance
- Take careful steps, toes out
- Look at the ground and surroundings as you walk
- Do not carry items – use a backpack or cart
- Don’t be distracted! Put away the phone and keep your eyes on your surroundings